Another cold and foggy morning & the soft sheets felt soo good and warm compared to the cloudy glass of the window above my head,announcing that a heavy and cold weather was dispersing through the city.. If it would have any other day I would have gone back to sleep till my Dad brings me a hot cup of green tea.. But today is Chirstmas.. a festival that brings joy and happiness.. and most importantly awesome breakfast.. 🙂
Christmas breakfast has to be special..and this time I promised my family that I will make breakfast on this Christmas So,I tried to gear myself up and started my work from 7 am in the morning… and decided to make baked donuts with chocolate glazing..
Recipe for Donuts with Chocolate glazing-
For the Donut Dough:
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter,
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 cup dark choco chips
- 1/4 cup milk
For white chocolate glaze:
- 1/2 cup white choco chips
- 1/8 cup milk
- For the dough :In a small bowl, add yeast and a tablespoon of sugar and warm water and let it rise to for 10 minutes. After the yeast has risen,Mix the flour ,sugar,yeast mixture together in a standing mixer fitted with dough hook. Add salt and mix well.
- In a measuring jug, heat together the milk and butter and heat until luke warm, and the butter is melted. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Keep stirring the flour mixture and slowly add the milk mixture.
- Increase the speed to medium and mix until the dough is shiny and smooth, 6-8 minutes. The dough is supposed to be saggy and on the wet side
- Rub your mixing bowl with vegetable oil . Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat lightly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap tight and let the dough rise until doubled, 1 ½ -2 hours.
- Once it has risen, turn out the fluffy dough onto a floured work surface.
- Roll out to ½ “ thick
- Using a round cutter cut of your donuts circles. Dust your cutter in flour so it doesn’t stick to the dough. Then cut out the donut hole with a much smaller cutter.
- TIP: You can prepare the donuts to this stage and put in the refrigerator until the next day. When needed, take out and let me come to room temp and rise a little (roughly 30 minutes) and then bake off as instructed below. Fresh donuts for breakfast.
- Cover your donuts with cling film and let them rise at room temp for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 190 degree Celsius
- Unwrap the donuts. Brush the very top (not the sides) with melted butter. Sprinkle the tray with 2 tblsp of water.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
For chocolate glazing:
- Add dark choco chips and milk in a bowl and place it in the microwave for about 30 seconds at 540 Watt. Take it out and mix well.Keep it again,if the chocolate is not completely melted.
For White chocolate glazing:
- Add white choco chips and milk in a bowl and place it in the microwave for about 30 seconds at 540 Watt. Take it out and mix well.Keep it again,if the chocolate is not completely melted.
- Fill the white chocolate mixture in a piping bag to make patterns on the donuts.. 🙂
Glazing the donuts:
- Take you donuts straight from the oven and dunk into the chocolate glaze one by one. Dip each in the bowl of glaze with forks. Let the excess glaze drip off before and then place on a wire rack to dry.
- Make different types of pattern on the donuts using the white chocolate glazing..or put sprinkles on the chocolate glazing and enjoy.. 🙂
Have leftovers ? Pop them in the oven and refresh them for a few minutes. the glaze might melt but they will be warm and fresh again…