Waking up at 6 to catch office bus in this cold and chilly weather is like a curse..and what makes it more worse is when you have to leave home without breakfast because empty stomach and sleepy eyes leaves me irritated whole morning.. 😦
So, this weekend I decided to prepare some ready to take, healthy and nutritious breakfast… I was thinking about something that I can easily carry and is also very filling and can help me survive the morning till I have my 11 o’clock coffee.. Granola oats bars are perfect for this, made with oats, dry fruits and honey, they not only make a healthy and tasty breakfast, but also a perfect snack for evening tea time..They also make a really good snack for campers and hikers as they are lightweight and healthy. 🙂
Recipe for granola bars:
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sliced cashew nuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C. Butter a baking dish and line it with butter paper(I didn’t use butter paper in mine and found it a little difficult to take out the bars, so I would suggest don’t miss to use butter paper :)).
- In the pan, toss the oats, almonds, cashew nuts and coconut together on the medium flame, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (& a great aroma of coconut fills the kitchen :))aprox for 7-10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- In another pan, add butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add the dates and mix well.(if you feel that the sauce is little less, add 1 or 2 tbsp. of honey)
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares. Serve at room temperature.Store them in a air tight container.
Since,my brother was on the visit home, I packed some for him too.. 😀
Note: You can also add chocolate chips , dried cranberries or any types of dry fruits you like.. 🙂