Uttarakhand, described as the land of Gods is known for its beautiful landscape and rich culture and heritage ..and today i will add a little about its delicious cuisines also. I am blessed that I belong to this place and needless to say in love with it.. Well we basically belong to a place near Ranikhet… a small town which has flourished a lot with time.. but one thing that still makes the place charming is its simplicity… simplicity in people’s heart, in their conversations and in their food..
Thinking Why I am going on about Uttarakhand? 😛
As I have mentioned in my previous posts, I am a part of lots of food groups on facebook.. and one of them being “ChefAtLarge” , This group is full of creative people and has a great blend of amateurs to professional chef’s . It also has lots of events happening..and today morning i stumbled upon on one of the events that is for Independence Day.. For this we have to post a entry for breakfast dish that belongs to our native place or any other traditional Indian breakfast..So, I decided to make a dish from my native place too, “Singhal” was suggested by my mom as my nani use to make this a lot for their breakfast and also on their birthdays. So I decided to go for this as having singhal may bring back lots of childhood memories for her..
Singhal, is a sweet dish usually prepared on any auspicious occasions in Uttarakhand with many other things…it is like a semolina banana jalebi..
Recipe for Singhal:
- 2 cups of semolina (sooji)
- 1 cup of curd
- 2 mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder
- 1 tsp of saunf (Aniseed)
- Ghee/oil for frying
- water , if needed.
- Beat the curd in a bowl. Add semolina, mashed bananas, sugar and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and saunf. Mix well and add 2 -3 tbsp of water if required. The mixture would be thick.
- Cover the bowl and let it rest for about one hour.
- Take a muslin/cotton cloth and fold it in equal four part. Make a cut of about 1 cm in the center of the cloth. Now pour some of the mixture in the cloth ( same way it is done for jalebi, though this mixture will be very much thicker than jalebi mixture.)
- Heat the oil in the frying pan(kadhai) and with the help of the cloth pour batter in frying pan(kadhai) in spiral shape..
- Cook till brown in color.