15th August Special.. 🙂
15th August is Indian Independence Day , So first of all…
Happy 70th Independence Day.. Jai Hind 🙂
This post is my way to show respect and love for my country.. I am a proud Indian 🙂
So, let’s roll..
Tutti fruity.. Small brightly colored sugared candied pieces that we all love in our desserts.. Tutti fruity is used in so many desserts and bakes.. tutti fruity ice cream, tutti fruity cakes, muffins, sweet tutti fruity buns and breads and many more..
Well, I love tutti fruity in my bakes and desserts…I love the way it brings colors to the food. The only problem.. it is not easily available in the supermarket near my home though I have found a certain shop that have these, but there also it is not available always..So, some months back I had gone through some sites to check if I can make these at home and Voila, I got to know that they are made from raw papaya.. Since then, on my every visit to the vegetable market I was looking for raw papaya and this fortunate Saturday, I found one seller selling these beautiful raw papayas.
So, I set on my cooking mode, and made these delicious tutti fruity in three colors -orange, green , blue to celebrate our independence day . From now on, I don’t need to depend on the store for tutti fruity..
Recipe for tutti fruity –
- 500 gm of raw papaya
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2.5 cups of water + water for blanching papaya.
- Color for tutti fruity (any of your choice)
- Few drops of vanilla essence.
- Peel the papaya, remove seeds and chop into small pieces as shown in the picture below.
2. Boil water in a pot and add the chopped papaya in the boiling water. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then switch off the gas and let the papaya sit in the pot for 5 minutes. Take the papaya pieces in the strainer.
3. In another pot add sugar and water for sugar syrup. Add papaya pieces in the pot once the sugar has dissolved completely. Cook the papaya pieces in the sugar syrup until the sugar syrup starts to gain a single thread consistency.
4. After that switch off the gas and add few drops of vanilla essence.
5.In different cups , add some orange, green , blue or any other color of your choice and then add equal amount of papaya pieces along with the sugar solution in these cups. Let it sit for 10-12 hours.
6. Now, sieve the papaya pieces on the wire net. This will help remove the extra sugar syrup from the papaya pieces.
7.Keep the pieces in the open till the sugary stickiness goes from the papaya pieces. I kept the pieces for a day in the room under the fan and then under the sun outside for a day (for outside I covered it with a sieve to prevent it from the birds or animals).
And Voila your tutti –fruity are ready to use..
You can also try my tutti-fruity whole wheat cake .. 🙂
Please do try it and share your experiences ..