It was my parent’s 29 marriage anniversary some months back and I had planned to make a cake to celebrate the occasion. So, this cake is very special to me ,as first it was made as one of my gifts for Mom and Dad and secondly ,it was my first cake with icing.
So, the preparation began on full swing and for the complete week I went through various blogs, YouTube videos to get ideas for icing along with chocolate decorations. After completing my “research” 😛 , I was full on ready to make the cake.
So, after coming from office on Friday, I got all my ingredients for the cake and after the quick mixing set it in the oven for baking. Now came the hard part, the icing. As it was my first attempt I decided on thick chocolate ganache icing along with some chocolate decorations. For chocolate decorations, I made squares of white and dark chocolate designs and cut out some hearts with dark chocolate and wrote 29 on them. As I made all this in hurry on Saturday morning(The D-Day) I couldn’t take the pictures of the making of chocolate decorations, but I will try put the procedure of the same very soon.
Recipe for the Egg-less Chocolate Cake –
Ingredients for Chocolate cake :
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
- 2 tbsp of cocco powder.
- 1 tsp of baking powder.
- ½ tsp of baking soda.
- ¾ cup of condensed milk.
- ½ cup of unsalted butter.
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence.
- ½ cup of water.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F or 180 degree C for at least 10 minutes.
- Grease a round cake pan well with butter or oil.
- Take dry ingredients (Whole wheat flour, cocco powder, baking soda, baking powder) in a bowl.Mix them well till they get incorporated.
- In another bowl take melted butter and /add condensed milk. Beat it well.
- Add water and vanilla essence Whisk it well.
- Add dry flour mixture to wet mixture.
- Whisk well and make sure there are no lumps.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake into pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes. Check the cake by inserting a toothpick in the center . If toothpick comes out clean then cake is ready.
- Let the cake cool on the rack. After the cake is cooled , keep it in the fridge overnight. Cake should be completely cooled before icing.
I completed the cake with chocolate ganache icing and some chocolate decorations..
Any bakes or dishes close to your heart.. ? Please do share .. 😀
26 January 2015 , India celebrates its 66th Republic Day..Every Indian celebrates the day with great enthusiasm and patriotism .Being brought up in a family of military officers (my grandpa and uncle both served for Army),this day holds a lot of excitement for us..Every year, we all wake up early and have breakfast watching the Republic Day parade.. Till 12 , all of us always remain glued to the TV , feeling a sense of pride with every marching platoon, beautiful jhankis and dances that are performed at Vijay Chowk, New Delhi.
This year was no different..Around 11 mum served some fried chips with coffee. There was something special about those fried chips that made me want to make this cake.. Guess what?? Well , they were tricolor chips ..
After having those chips , I decided on making a tricolor checkerboard cake.. with saffron(orange), white(plain) and green vanilla cakes to celebrate our Republic Day.. 🙂
- 2 cups of maida
- 1 cup of full cream milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp of oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Food color (orange and green color)
- Sieve maida, baking powder, baking soda in a bowl.
- Add the sugar in the milk and mix well.
- Add the dry mixture in the milk mixture, combine everything to make sure there are no lumps of any dry ingredient.
- Add vanilla extract and oil and again mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp lemon juice and mix everything well.
- Divide the batter into three parts. Add green food color to one part and orange color to the second.(No color is required for the third)
- Grease the microwave safe dish with oil and pour anyone of the batter in it. Keep it in microwave at 720W (80% power setting) for about 4 minutes.
- Cool the first cake and put the second one in the microwave.
- After making the three cakes, reassemble the cake.
For the chocolate ganache:
- 1 cup of Dark chocolate
- 1 cup of Heavy cream
- Pour the cream into a small pan and place it over medium-low heat for a few minutes. Keep an eye on the cream , it’s not necessary to boil or simmer it. It just needs to get hot. The cream is ready when you can place a finger in the cream and keep it there for 3 to 4 seconds.
- Chop the chocolate in small pieces and add the chocolate in the cream. Stir the chocolate through the cream and let it sit for a few minutes
- Mix the ganache and keep stirring untill it comes together.
- Cool the ganache before using.
Assembly of cake:
- Cut each cake into three circular parts. I used a cookie cutter for the centre part (smallest one) and a small plate for the medium one.
- After getting all the three parts for each cake ,start with the assembling. Place the outer circular part(largest part) green color cake first and layer with chocolate ganache in the insides of the cake. Place the second piece of the white color cake and again layer the inside of the white cake with chocolate ganache. Now, place the third and smallest piece of orange color cake in the centre. Layer the whole top of the cake with chocolate ganache.
- Swap the cut outs between the layers.Pile the cake one on top of the other, alternating the colors.
- Make sure to add frosting between the layer ..
- Layer the cake with chocolate ganache in the end.
- Slice the cake and serve 🙂
Another cold and foggy morning & the soft sheets felt soo good and warm compared to the cloudy glass of the window above my head,announcing that a heavy and cold weather was dispersing through the city.. If it would have any other day I would have gone back to sleep till my Dad brings me a hot cup of green tea.. But today is Chirstmas.. a festival that brings joy and happiness.. and most importantly awesome breakfast.. 🙂
Christmas breakfast has to be special..and this time I promised my family that I will make breakfast on this Christmas So,I tried to gear myself up and started my work from 7 am in the morning… and decided to make baked donuts with chocolate glazing..
Recipe for Donuts with Chocolate glazing-
For the Donut Dough:
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter,
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 cup dark choco chips
- 1/4 cup milk
For white chocolate glaze:
- 1/2 cup white choco chips
- 1/8 cup milk
- For the dough :In a small bowl, add yeast and a tablespoon of sugar and warm water and let it rise to for 10 minutes. After the yeast has risen,Mix the flour ,sugar,yeast mixture together in a standing mixer fitted with dough hook. Add salt and mix well.
- In a measuring jug, heat together the milk and butter and heat until luke warm, and the butter is melted. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Keep stirring the flour mixture and slowly add the milk mixture.
- Increase the speed to medium and mix until the dough is shiny and smooth, 6-8 minutes. The dough is supposed to be saggy and on the wet side
- Rub your mixing bowl with vegetable oil . Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat lightly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap tight and let the dough rise until doubled, 1 ½ -2 hours.
- Once it has risen, turn out the fluffy dough onto a floured work surface.
- Roll out to ½ “ thick
- Using a round cutter cut of your donuts circles. Dust your cutter in flour so it doesn’t stick to the dough. Then cut out the donut hole with a much smaller cutter.
- TIP: You can prepare the donuts to this stage and put in the refrigerator until the next day. When needed, take out and let me come to room temp and rise a little (roughly 30 minutes) and then bake off as instructed below. Fresh donuts for breakfast.
- Cover your donuts with cling film and let them rise at room temp for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 190 degree Celsius
- Unwrap the donuts. Brush the very top (not the sides) with melted butter. Sprinkle the tray with 2 tblsp of water.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Donuts just out of oven, ready for glazing..
For chocolate glazing:
- Add dark choco chips and milk in a bowl and place it in the microwave for about 30 seconds at 540 Watt. Take it out and mix well.Keep it again,if the chocolate is not completely melted.
For White chocolate glazing:
- Add white choco chips and milk in a bowl and place it in the microwave for about 30 seconds at 540 Watt. Take it out and mix well.Keep it again,if the chocolate is not completely melted.
- Fill the white chocolate mixture in a piping bag to make patterns on the donuts.. 🙂
Glazing the donuts:
- Take you donuts straight from the oven and dunk into the chocolate glaze one by one. Dip each in the bowl of glaze with forks. Let the excess glaze drip off before and then place on a wire rack to dry.
- Make different types of pattern on the donuts using the white chocolate glazing..or put sprinkles on the chocolate glazing and enjoy.. 🙂
Have leftovers ? Pop them in the oven and refresh them for a few minutes. the glaze might melt but they will be warm and fresh again…