Day 4, Thursday.
These days I feel like I am writing a journal .. everyday I am excited to try something new and to share the experiences with everyone. My mornings are spent thinking about the muffin recipe that I can try today, my office breaks spent on browsing through my saved recipes or new recipes, and my evening, executing my day’s research. 🙂
This banana oats muffins recipe was lying in my saved section from a long time and I really wanted to try this. So , what could be a better time than this… They are perfect for teatime, small snack break and even for breakfast.. I really like them for my breakfast with a strong cup of coffee, and also took them for my evening snack for my 2 hours tiresome bus journey.
Recipe adapted from this blog.
Recipe for banana oats muffins –
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup instant oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 medium sized banana (1/2 cup mashed banana)
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (you can add any nuts also)
- 1 tsp of flax seeds and musk melon seeds for sprinkling on the muffin’s top.
- Pinch of salt.
- Preheat the oven at 200 degree Celsius.
- Sieve the whole wheat flour salt, baking soda, baking powder together in a bowl. Add the oats and chia seeds in the bowl.
- In another bowl, add the mashed banana , brown sugar and vanilla essence. Stir well . Add oil and stir till all incorporated together.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix gently. Use cut and fold method to mix . Do not over mix the batter.
- With the use of spoons, fill the muffins tray till the top. Put some flax seeds and musk melon seeds as garnishing over the muffins top.
- Bake them at the high temperature (200 degree C) for about 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180 and bake for 12-15 minutes.Do note I use small muffin tray , if your muffin tray is medium/regular sized, bake them for around 18-20 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in a muffin, if it comes out clean , then the muffins are done.
- Enjoy them with cold milk or hot coffee 🙂
Note : I am doing a muffin week .. Check out my other day’s post :
Monday : Tutti-fruity muffins
Tuesday : Spiced Apple muffins
Wednesday : Chocolate chip oats muffins..
I belong to Ranikhet, a very beautiful hill station in Uttarakhand. Uttarakhand and its people are famous for many things, its nature, its beauty , kind and friendly people and their undying love for tea. Pahadi’s (as we are known) can never say no to a cup of tea. My mom is one such true pahadi, she loves her tea, strong with little milk , as she likes to have. My mom always enjoys her tea time , whether its 20 degree C or 40 degree C outside.
Today, being my holiday , I decided to surprise mum with a tea time snack for her. I whipped up some tutty-fruity muffins to accompany her 4pm tea. Well, the best thing is she loved them and ordered me to make some of these for her everyday tea time snacks as she says, its always best when its homemade.. 🙂
Do try these egg-less tutti-fruity muffins, you will love them.
- ¾ cup of all purpose flour(maida)
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ cup of Oil
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¼ tsp of baking soda
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- ¼ cup of tutti-fruity
- A pinch of salt
- A tsp of flour (to dust the tutii-fruity)
- A tbsp of milk (if required)
- Preheat the oven at 200 degree Celsius.
- Sieve all purpose flour (maida) and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, add the sugar , oil and vanilla essence and stir it well until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda in the yogurt and let it sit for 3-4 minutes.( sieve the baking powder and baking soda in the yogurt, it prevents their lump formation).
- Add this curd mixture to the oil mixture bowl and gently stir.
- Dust the tutti-fruity with the flour.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and add the tutti-fruity. Stir the mixture gently until everything is combined.
- Now fill the muffins tray till the top. I love the dome type structure of the muffins. If you also want them , then fill your muffins cups till the top , and bake them at the high temperature (200 degree C) for about 4-5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180 and bake for 7-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with hot tea or cold coffee. 🙂
In India, monsoon season is welcomed with something fried and something chatpata accompanied with a hot cup of tea (or like in my case coffee :P) , and .. It’s like a natural instinct for me..whenever the rain starts, my mind starts thinking of having those crispy onion and potato pakodas with chatpati pudhina chutney…Ohh!! my love for the green chutney..!!!
Oh well, before I get engrossed in my thoughts of having pudhina chutney and end up making one.. Let me tell you what this post is all about..
Well this post is not about pakodas or green pudhina chutney or a cup of coffee, this is about my want to have something different also.. (Though I would never give the chance of having those fried crispy finger food in rainy season).I wanted to bake something that can also go great with the season.
Spiced apple muffins are the perfect choice for the season. It has a little spiciness with clove and dalchini(cinnamon) and the freshness of apple, and on the top of it, the whole wheat flour makes it healthy too 🙂 .It’s one of those food with that I can imagine myself sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee and enjoying the rain with this muffin.
Let’s have a little change in the monsoon menu this rainy season with this spiced apple muffin 🙂
Recipe for Spiced Apple Muffin-
- Ingredients :
- ½ tin or 200 gm of condensed milk
- 1 tbsp of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 crushed cloves
- ½ cup of oil
- ½ tsp of vanilla essence
- 1 small apple – chopped in small pieces.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F or 180 degree C for at least 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon powder.
- Beat condensed milk with sugar. Add vanilla essence and oil and beat again.
- Add crushed cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients (the flour mixture) and gently fold the mixture with a spatula.
- Sprinkle a tbsp of flour on the chopped apple and fold it into the batter.
- Grease the muffin tray or you can also use paper cups with the muffin tray.
- Fill each cup with about ¾ only.
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes. Check a muffin by inserting a toothpick in the center . If toothpick comes out clean then they are ready.
Do try them and share your experience :)
Since a few days , I was not feeling well and was not able to swallow down anything without throwing it up , I know, gross right :(..and to think whats my sickness has to do with the tasty puff pastries.. ,Well after eating dalia and khichdi for three continuous days,i was really fed up, so one afternoon i decided to take chance and me and my friend went to the canteen to have some snacks (hoping i will be able to keep it in my stomach) 😛 .. and guess what we had???
Yup, we ended up having puff pastry.. I don’t know whether it was me having some snack after almost a week or the fact that i was eating a puff pastry after so many months that i couldn’t even recall the last time i had them, that while eating that patty, I remembered my childhood days. While in school, I used to take money from dad for eating the paneer and potato patties in the canteen. In junior school, these puff pastry used to be one of the main snack of the birthday treats in school… 🙂
After having the puff pastry, i decided to try to make them at home.. :). As if God was also on my side, during my recent trip to Modern Bazaar, i found the Puff pastry dough and decided on buying it..
so, this was our super sunday breakfast.. Paneer and veggies puff pastries..
Recipe for the paneer and veggies puff pastries –
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 cup grated paneer
- salt , to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli
- 1/2 tbsp chat masala
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300 grams puff pastry dough
Paneer and veggies stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 230 degree celcius
- Heat the oil in the pan. Add chopped onion and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped beans and carrot and saute for 3-4 minute till the beans and carrot are cooked.
- Add red chilli, garam masala, and salt and mix well.
- Add grated paneer ,mix well and cook for some time.
- Let the stuffing cool off for sometime.
- Take the pastry dough and roll it in 3×3 inch square shaped sheets.Place the stuffing on the sheets , apply some water on the sides and fold it in triangular shape.
- Place the puff pastry on the baking tray and place it in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before eating.. 🙂
Enjoy these with hot coffee.. 🙂
Note: You can add any type of stuffing you want. Mashed potatoes can be added instead of grated paneer. You can make egg bhurji stuffing.. 🙂