In India, monsoon season is welcomed with something fried and something chatpata accompanied with a hot cup of tea (or like in my case coffee :P) , and .. It’s like a natural instinct for me..whenever the rain starts, my mind starts thinking of having those crispy onion and potato pakodas with chatpati pudhina chutney…Ohh!! my love for the green chutney..!!!
Oh well, before I get engrossed in my thoughts of having pudhina chutney and end up making one.. Let me tell you what this post is all about..
Well this post is not about pakodas or green pudhina chutney or a cup of coffee, this is about my want to have something different also.. (Though I would never give the chance of having those fried crispy finger food in rainy season).I wanted to bake something that can also go great with the season.
Spiced apple muffins are the perfect choice for the season. It has a little spiciness with clove and dalchini(cinnamon) and the freshness of apple, and on the top of it, the whole wheat flour makes it healthy too 🙂 .It’s one of those food with that I can imagine myself sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee and enjoying the rain with this muffin.
Let’s have a little change in the monsoon menu this rainy season with this spiced apple muffin 🙂
Recipe for Spiced Apple Muffin-
- Ingredients :
- ½ tin or 200 gm of condensed milk
- 1 tbsp of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 crushed cloves
- ½ cup of oil
- ½ tsp of vanilla essence
- 1 small apple – chopped in small pieces.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F or 180 degree C for at least 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon powder.
- Beat condensed milk with sugar. Add vanilla essence and oil and beat again.
- Add crushed cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients (the flour mixture) and gently fold the mixture with a spatula.
- Sprinkle a tbsp of flour on the chopped apple and fold it into the batter.
- Grease the muffin tray or you can also use paper cups with the muffin tray.
- Fill each cup with about ¾ only.
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes. Check a muffin by inserting a toothpick in the center . If toothpick comes out clean then they are ready.
Do try them and share your experience :)
Since a few days , I was not feeling well and was not able to swallow down anything without throwing it up , I know, gross right :(..and to think whats my sickness has to do with the tasty puff pastries.. ,Well after eating dalia and khichdi for three continuous days,i was really fed up, so one afternoon i decided to take chance and me and my friend went to the canteen to have some snacks (hoping i will be able to keep it in my stomach) 😛 .. and guess what we had???
Yup, we ended up having puff pastry.. I don’t know whether it was me having some snack after almost a week or the fact that i was eating a puff pastry after so many months that i couldn’t even recall the last time i had them, that while eating that patty, I remembered my childhood days. While in school, I used to take money from dad for eating the paneer and potato patties in the canteen. In junior school, these puff pastry used to be one of the main snack of the birthday treats in school… 🙂
After having the puff pastry, i decided to try to make them at home.. :). As if God was also on my side, during my recent trip to Modern Bazaar, i found the Puff pastry dough and decided on buying it..
so, this was our super sunday breakfast.. Paneer and veggies puff pastries..
Recipe for the paneer and veggies puff pastries –
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 cup grated paneer
- salt , to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli
- 1/2 tbsp chat masala
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300 grams puff pastry dough
Paneer and veggies stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 230 degree celcius
- Heat the oil in the pan. Add chopped onion and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped beans and carrot and saute for 3-4 minute till the beans and carrot are cooked.
- Add red chilli, garam masala, and salt and mix well.
- Add grated paneer ,mix well and cook for some time.
- Let the stuffing cool off for sometime.
- Take the pastry dough and roll it in 3×3 inch square shaped sheets.Place the stuffing on the sheets , apply some water on the sides and fold it in triangular shape.
- Place the puff pastry on the baking tray and place it in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before eating.. 🙂
Enjoy these with hot coffee.. 🙂
Note: You can add any type of stuffing you want. Mashed potatoes can be added instead of grated paneer. You can make egg bhurji stuffing.. 🙂